Saturday 1 January 2011

Favourite Road Bike - The Top Gear Test

A couple of cycling bloggers out there have commented on their bike version of the Top Gear Alfa Romeo ie you're not a true motor car enthusiast until you've owned an Alfa. I love the Alfa SZ. A completely mad design but beautiful all the same. Futuristic yet retro for 1991. Timeless, mad even, and certainly not to everyone's taste.

The cycling equivalent according to a lot of people seems to be Colnago. A few hits and misses, design wise, over the years but when they hit, they really do hit. My favourite Colnago is their latest super bike, the C59.

The equivalent of the Alfa in cycling terms, to my mind, isn't a Colnago though it's a Viner. The Viner Maxima RS is my 'win the lottery' bike and I think Viner is more Alfa Romeo, whereas Colnago is equivalent to Ferrari in cycling.

My favourite super bike design and the equivalent to the Alfa Romeo SZ for me, is the Wave Emotion, made in Austria by Xentis. It looks like a cross between a Dogma and an Orca although it was designed before them. I love it.

What's your Alfa Romeo Bike?

Kia Kaha

Neilly G

5 comments:

  1. This is the frame I daydream about ...

    http://www.enigmabikes.com/extensor.html with my Mavic Kysirium ESs :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Alpha? Alpha? ALPHA?

    Go and wash your mouth out! NOW!

    ALFA Romeo please!!!

    As for dream bikes, no matter what I look at I keep ending up here:

    http://www.parleecycles.com/z5/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Actually this is the one I shall save up for!

    http://www.ciclicasati.it/html_english/campionissimo.htm

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ummm, Casati retro chic. I saw a v. similar old Colnago frame restored and turned in to fixie. Lottery-win-tastic.

    Liking the Parlee Z5 SL in black and the CX. Niceee.

    ReplyDelete