Thursday 3 February 2011

Free Speed (Time RXR)


Trg today:

Swim (threshold) - 10x 100m on 1.30 off 2.30.
Bike (tempo) - 2x 30min. RI 3min.

Free speed. What is free speed? It's picking your 'worst' sport and emphasising that rather shying away from it. For most people that means the swim. Triathletes often play the 'swim doesn't matter' card, especially for IM, but its one off the best ways to get ferociously fit (assuming you do the other sports pretty frequently as well) and it allows you to be at your best for T1 and T2, even if your 5x a week (yes swim dodgers 4-5x a week is essential) in the pool doesn't mean that your that much faster in the long run - I'm talking swim 'fitness' here. 10-20mins isn't to be sniffed at in an IM swim but you can gain a hell of a lot more (and lose it!) on the bike and run. I can't say enough though how I feel hitting the swim hard will help you as a triathlete through your race. There are many ways to skin a cat. Long, medium and short distance intervals. Sprint to hearts content if you like. 5k of 50m sprints alternating ez and hard if your perverted in that way but 12 weeks out from you chosen event start putting in a long straight ez swim once a week getting up and even past your event dist in one go. It's amazing how many people complain about their backs, shoulders and calves after the swim in a race. Did they train specifically for that distance though? I'm guessing you can answer that question for them.

Kia Kaha

Neilly G

2 comments:

  1. I swum today :-) did my 800 m timed swim for winterswim. And I'm not even a triathlete. I would disagree though with the amount you need to do, but then you wouldn't expect me to agree I'm sure!

    How are the feet?

    ReplyDelete
  2. K, I wouldn't expect you to agree with any IM related chronic cardio post. Lol.

    My feet are awesome.

    ReplyDelete