Sunday 1 May 2011

Sporting Breakthroughs


Following on from Phillip Gilbert's awesome hat trick, I also had a small sporting breakthrough today.

Normally along with the classic FTP, CP 20 & 5 tests I also do a regular IM bike test (thanks Gordo and Chuckie V). I have now done a fair bit of focussed training and a big bike camp so I guess if it was going to come it should be now I have 'fully' recovered.

It's a 3hr Computrainer test where I set out to do my last IM's average bike power and see what my hr is throughout. In my last IM I did 5hr dead for the bike at 135bpm with barely any cardiac drift. Today 3hrs at the same power resulted in 115bpm average (in the aero position). That's just above my zone 1 recovery pace!

Now the rhetorical question(s) is do I keep this power and with increased fitness really coast the bike (hopefully getting close to 5hrs at Roth) and see how the run goes from there (lets face it an IM is really a pass or fail based on how fast your run is if your you're trying to be competitive). Or in accordance with Coggan and Allen up the bike to the supposed correct IM intensity and trust in my uprated run training. Ummmm.

8 comments:

  1. Mmmm, I would up the bike power a little (ie do a half-way house). I know from experience that the Roth run isn't that 'hard' as IM runs go but it could well be roasting hot and there is little shade so having some 'headroom' getting off the bike would be very smart. I ran 3:34 off a slower bike than I'd planned but I think it actually paid off in the long run. As you know you can lose so much time on the run if it goes horribly wrong!

    ReplyDelete
  2. 115bpm for a 5hr IM bike split - flippin' heck mate you are in great bike shape. I suppose the questions are what happens to your bike pace if you increase HR to 135bpm; is there any cardiac drift as a result of this increased pace? how does this affect your running? And as Cavegirl said above, same set of questions but at 125bpm?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I guess it will be the half way house depending on the final tests guys. As you can probably tell I am quite worried about my IM run. I've never had a 'fast' one and now I've actually done enough training for there to be no excuses (fingers crossed).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Try not to think of having a fast one, just focus on delivering yourself to T2 in good shape and then just enjoy the experience, you're more likely to run well if you are relaxed than if you are chasing a time. It's hard not to 'enjoy' the Roth run to be honest, there are so many people around cheering you on and the aid stations click over quite quickly which I found really helped.

    Of course any extra freight you can drop between now and then could be the key :-) and won't do the power-weight ratio on the bike any harm at all either!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So are we looking at 60 min swim, sub 5 bike (4:45 maybe?) and a 3:30 run? Or is a 3:30 run wishful thinking? This could be very special if the planets align for you on the day!

    ReplyDelete
  6. In my dreams maybe. Not sure how the bike course is other than it being smooth and having a decent hill in it, so I will probably be very cautious (5.15 maybe?) and to be honest I will just be happy if I can go sub 4 on the run. Eight weeks of improvements still to come so here's hoping.

    ReplyDelete
  7. that adds up to a sub 10? wow! who would have thought that after THAT horrible IMUK experience? best of luck!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes character building stuff that race Royster. Especially watching you puke every mile from mile 13 onwards. Ha, ha. I think I wsas delirious at one point during IMUK, a bit like you and your sub 10 prediction. :-)

    ReplyDelete