Sunday 22 May 2011

Training at Altitude aka With the In-Laws in Austria


Had a nice time in Austria visiting my wife's parents with our baby boy. We've got to get him in touch with his inner Austrian early (on a British passport so he knows where he stands heh, heh).

Hence, our long weekend away ended up with me 'mountain' running each day for between 30-45mins at altitude, more by accident than design. It was interesting to see my heart rate up by about 10bpm for the same effort levels. Didn't really feel it on the runs but I was very tired in the evenings and that's only at 1500m. I can only imagine the fatigue build up when people try to train at height. Ouch.

Weekly round up:

Bike (x2) - 5hrs
Run (x6) - 5hrs

Neilly G

4 comments:

  1. Weird isn't it! We stayed at Murren, 6,000 feet, and just walking up the hotel stairs to our room made us breath hard and the tea never tasted right with a lower boiling temperature!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The thought of living/training at altitude gives me goose bumps. I climbed Grossglockner on the bike a few years ago which goes up to 2500m and I was wheezing from about half way. I'm no mountain goat.

    I find Milka chocolate tastes good at any altitude. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Indeed, chocolate taste good at any altitude, in any scenario :-) but it doesn't feel quite so good lugging the resultant kgs around an IM run LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The chocolate eating was a joke. :-) I don't like Milka.

    ReplyDelete