Tuesday 28 December 2010

New Years Day Challenge


Rapha cc have taken on a 500km challenge on their website. Professional triathlete, Hillary Biscay has her 100x 100m on something ridiculous like 1.20 (ouch) all the way, every birthday.

Following on from elite endurance athlete, Hywel Davies' C2 row of 10x 10k in a day last week, I'm going for a 10x 30km New Years Day Challenge. Any spare time in each hr is taken rest. 300k is not so bad some might say but indoors alternating between the rollers, Computrainer and PowerCranks is going to be tough mentally. IM is 10hrs of discomfort so I will suck it up and build the mental toughness from here to Roth in July.

Fun I think, you might disagree but if it wasn't painful, difficult, hard, or long (take your pick) it wouldn't be a challenge, would it?

Having recovered from man flu and with the ankle almost ready for a test run this was my training today: 2hrs on rollers bottom of zone 2; 45min in pool with 10x 200m on 3:10 with 60s RI.

Kia kaha

Neilly G

4 comments:

  1. How do you work out your zones - what percentage of max heart rate is bottom of zone 2 for you?

    10 x 200 on 3:10 blimey I managed one flat out 200 today in 3:12!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't done it by a max hr as such, it is the hr at 72-75% of my FTP ie bottom of zone 2 or endurance pace (hr 120-125bpm).

    ReplyDelete
  3. OK. What do you consider your max on the bike?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I should really have put below 75% of FTP (its like sswapping between metric and imperial with wattage and HR so pardon the % numbers)as Zone 2 is 56-75% of FTP according to ALLEN & COGGAN (they use 7 zones for power!). My Max HR on the bike is 188 so 120 is around 65% of Max HR. Hence, right at the bottom of A&C's (endurance) Zone 2 and at the top of recovery Zone 1. Traditionally, 70%-ish of Max HR is usually seen as the start of Zone 2 (HR) but I don't want a Man Flu relapse.

    ReplyDelete