Monday 27 June 2011

Phew What a Scorcher - England's Long Weekend of Summer


Not been feeling great the last few days. Not ill but just not 100%. Woke up on Sunday and knew I definitely couldn't face a 156mile bike ride and went back to bed. Did a 4hr Turbo later on in the day when it had cooled a little as it was 32 degrees C in the Turbo dungeon.

Today was my last long run before Roth. This was meant to be at race pace but again I felt not quite right. A pace that is usually below 130bpm had me at 165bpm! It was hot and humid again but come on. I didn't feel ill but that wasn't a great sign so I back right off and just jogged the 30k in 2:45. I feel fine now but I'm actually glad this has kicked in now as I can back right off now until the race. It would have been awful to do all this training and then feel mysteriously run down in 10 days time when it actually counts.

Gettin' it done.

Neilly G

3 comments:

  1. Just chill now, that heat is a good reminder of how things may be at Roth - it was in the mid 30s the entire day I did my first race there.

    You know this stuff I know but you can add at least 10 beats to hr in the heat and the carb burn goes up exponentially too - hence my Haribo moments on the 30 degree, no shade Tourmalet last week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. wise words kelda, Nelly take note! and i know you know.. the hard work is done a good taper now will make all the difference n race day, good luck

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the posts guys. Bike test tomorrow and then a short sharp OW tri day on Sat and that's me. Then lots of rest and sleep to shed the fatigue thereafter.

    ReplyDelete